Boy, that’s a mouthful. A MOUTHFUL OF PURE AWESOME.
Bacon AND blueberries AND goat cheese AND walnuts? It just came to me.
The bacon had finished crisping up in the pan and I was standing over the sink rinsing salad greens when I looked over and saw an empty tomato container. Crap. The BLTs I had planned on making were now a thing of the past. Salad it would be! (because there’s just no sense in a sandwich with only lettuce and tomato. boring.) I looked in the fridge for other vegetables to throw in and my eyes passed by the pint of beautiful organic blueberries. I wanted those blueberries. They wanted to be in my salad. I gave in.
Blueberries and bacon…. they are perfectly matched in every way. Sweet to savory, blue to red, juicy to crispy. But what else could I put in a salad that was saddled with beautiful organic blueberries and crispy center-cut bacon? I looked in the pantry and reached for the walnuts. Score! I wasn’t done, though. No special salad is complete without the perfect cheese! And what better cheese than that of a GOAT? None, I say… none. My masterpiece was almost done, but I still needed a dressing to bring it all together.
I thought maybe a balsamic vinaigrette would work at first, but I didn’t have any and this salad was too pretty to just splash on some straight balsamic. I’ve been toting around a bottle of raspberry vinaigrette that I bought from Aldi months ago. It’s more of an oil and vinegar dressing with some other flavors thrown in, so I read the ingredients, gave it a taste and decided it was the right one. The red wine vinegar base sealed the deal.
This salad is awesome. In fact, I’m making a big one for a get-together this weekend. Bacon and blueberries are a sure-fire winner. When I open up my own little bistro, this salad will definitely be on the menu. No joke. But until I open up that bistro, here’s the recipe for you to enjoy!
Bacon Blueberry Goat Cheese Walnut Salad
PointsPlus Per Serving: 10
- 3 handfuls salad greens
- 1/3 cup rinsed blueberries (or more since they’re zero PP!)
- 2 tbsp chopped walnuts, 3 PP
- 1/2 oz crumbled goat cheese, 1 PP
- 3 sliced center-cut bacon, cooked and chopped, 2 PP
- 2 tbsp raspberry vinaigrette, 4 PP (this was just mine since it was oil-based, but if you have a lighter one, you can easily adjust the points)
1. Put salad on a plate or in a bowl, top with blueberries, bacon, walnuts and goat cheese. Pour vinaigrette over top. Enjoy!
This is seriously an amazing salad. I spent about 20 minutes using my “internet curation” skills trying to find recipes that include these four main ingredients and I couldn’t find one! I’m sure someone somewhere in the vast existence of time has combined these ingredients, but I’ll gladly stake my claim as the first one to officially publish it online! If you’re curious as to some of the other recipes I found with blueberries and bacon as the main focus, check these ones out:
- Blueberry Bacon Breakfast Cake from How Sweet It Is blog (this girl is freaking hilarious too, so you should subscribe to her blog!)
- Pork Tenderloin with Blueberry Bacon BBQ Sauce from Noble Pig blog
- Cheddar Bacon Blueberry Scones from The Cooking Bridge blog