WOW! I received 45 entries for the Chobani giveaway and the lucky winner was…
In true Random.org fashion, it chose the number 13, which was actually pretty perfect since I became the Featured Blogger on the 13th day of the month! Kewl. Thank you to everyone else for participating and don’t be disheartened! I’m having a Popchips giveaway soon!
Now, I was going to post a recipe for the tzatziki sauce that I made, but it still needs a little perfecting, so that will be done later this week. But I’m not leaving you with NOTHING!
My girlfriend and I have made a few big purchases in the last month, so we’ve been budgeting like crazy, thanks to You Need a Budget. It’s this awesome software that’s keeping us in line and on track. Needless to say, buying meat isn’t a priority right now, lol. We have so many vegetables from our awesome CSA that vegetarian dishes are working their way into our weekly menus. I’ve actually enjoyed the challenge. I’m definitely one of those people who could never be a full-time vegetarian. I like my meat! I like the texture and the protein and the flavor… so, I’ve had to be creative.
This recipe was inspired by Budget Bytes. She made zucchini pizza boats and they looked so appealing that I took it and ran with it! I wanted to do it with more of an Italian style, so that’s what I did. What happened next… was pure deliciousness. I didn’t miss the meat and my girlfriend said she didn’t even miss the noodles; if you know ANYTHING about my girlfriend, it’s that she loooooooves her noodles! Noodles are a weekly occurrence in our home, so that statement is a true testament to how exquisite this dish was! Plus, it’s made with stuff that you probably have in your kitchen right now.
Italian Stuffed Zucchini
Servings: 2 (or 4 if you are serving sides)
PointsPlus Per Serving: 8 (or 4 if you have 4 portions)
- 1 ginormous zucchini (a 3-5 lb one will do!)
- 1 cup reduced fat spaghetti sauce, 3 PP
- 1 oz parmesan cheese (fresh if you have it), 3 PP
- 1 oz feta cheese (i used full fat cheeses), 2 PP
- 1/3 cup panko bread crumbs (any kind will do), 5 PP
- 1/4 cup diced sweet/yellow onion
- 1 tsp olive oil, 1 PP
- 1 tbsp italian seasoning (parsley, basil, oregano)
- 1 tsp crushed red pepper
- 1/2 tbsp minced garlic
- sea salt and freshly ground pepper
1. Preheat oven to 425.
2. Slice zucchini in half and scoop out the insides, leaving about 1 cm – 1/2 inch all the way round. Put insides in a bowl and set aside.
3. Lightly spray the bottom of a roasting pan with Pam and place 2 zucchini halves in, insides up.
4. Heat up tsp oil in a small non-stick pan and saute onion. Once sauteed, put into bowl and set aside.
5. Get out a chopping board and roughly chop up insides of zucchini and then place back in the bowl. Add spaghetti sauce, onions, garlic, crushed red pepper flakes, italian seasoning, bread crumbs, cheese and a little salt and pepper if you’d like. Mix together.
6. Spoon mixture into zucchini halves until evenly distributed. Sprinkle grated parmesan cheese over top and place in oven.
7. Cook for 35-50 minutes depending on how firm you want your zucchini to be. Serve and enjoy!
Now, make sure not to cut off the ends of the zucchini. In my picture, I have one side cut off because I used part of it for a different recipe a few days before. The zucchini was that big. You can use smaller zucchinis if you want. Maybe two normal-large ones. The wider the better, too! You want your zucchini to be like a little boat so that none of the insides drip out. Seriously, this dish is AMAZING. You won’t want any little bits dripping out!