Sometimes you just feel like making something special. Last night was one of those nights. I’d spent the day working from home since I was waiting for my internet guy to call me back (which didn’t happen until 5:30pm….) and I had the freedom to move around and catch up on various tasks in between projects. I originally thought I’d try the Tequila Lime Chicken Thighs recipe I saw in the Cooking Light magazine I bought at the train station, but it called for pineapple juice and I didn’t feel like getting it! So, I looked through my trusty cookbooks and found a recipe for Hoisin BBQ Chicken in The Complete Cooking Light Cookbook.
It looked delicious and I knew I had the hoisin sauce from a recent day trip to a neighboring town! I knew I’d be using it in recipes soon! I mixed in all the ingredients (with a few substitutions) and decided to grill it rather than broil it. I paired it with lightly sauteed broccoli and berry couscous salad. It was AWESOME. The perfect blend of flavors! The slight spice from the garlic went perfectly with the broccoli and the slight sweet from the hoisin went perfectly with the berry couscous salad.
I would make this meal again in a heartbeat. I guarantee it will be a huge success at any party! Try this sauce over any part of the chicken. Try it over pork tenderloin. Try it over grilled tofu. Just try it. You’ll love it. I promise!
Hoisin BBQ Chicken (adapted from Cooking Light)
PointsPlus Per Serving: 4
- 5 chicken thighs (or 3 halved chicken breasts), 10 PP
- 1/3 cup soy vay hoisin garlic sauce (not even a full PP!), 6 PP
- 1 1/2 tbsp light soy sauce
- 1 1/2 tbsp ketchup, 1 PP
- 1 tbsp mirin (or another japanese wine), 1 PP
- 1 tbsp brown sugar, 1 PP
- 1/2 tbsp minced garlic
1. Mix together all ingredients except chicken.
2. Cut a couple lines into each of the chicken thighs to ensure that the marinade soaks in. Put chicken into a large ziploc bag. Pour in 1/4 cup of mixture and let marinade for 30 minutes to overnight. Place the rest of the marinade in a container until ready to grill.
3. Get grill to a medium hot heat (can hold your hand over it for about 3 seconds). Place chicken directly onto grill and brush marinade on. Leave half of it to brush on when you flip the chicken.
4. Cook for about 10-15 minutes, making sure to check for desired done-ness. Serve immediately and enjoy!