I am really good at rewarding myself (especially since I don’t suffer from Catholic guilt anymore), but almost always that reward is food. I mentioned yesterday that I needed to think about how to reward myself for milestones without associating it with food. It actually took me about 30 minutes to really sit down and figure out how I could do that! Every milestone “reward” was prefaced with flashes of Thai food, sushi, cakes and more. Then I shook it off and thought about other things. I’ve come up with a list of milestones and rewards for each marker in my first long term journey of losing 100 lbs. I know I want to lose more, but I’ve got to focus on that first 100 before I think about anything else!
One thing I’ve learned about myself is that I do well with lists. I like to see them in front of my face, beckoning to be checked off one by one. These rewards may cost a little more than a tasty meal, but that’s the point, right? It’s a REWARD! A reward for doing well; for reaching a goal that’s seemed practically impossible ever since college. But these are some damn good rewards, and I’m excited about reaching them!
1. Lose 10 lbs. I did it!! 10 lbs may not seem like a lot, but it IS! My reward for reaching this goal is to treat myself to a purchase of two apps from the Droid store for my Samsung Epic. I’m a total geek when it comes to techie stuff like cameras and phones and there are definitely a few that I would love to get!
2. Reach my 5%. It’s a big milestone in the WW world, so I’ve decided to treat myself to a massage when I reach this milestone! I’ve had them before and I always feel amazing afterward. What better way to say “Good job, BODY!” than this?
3. Lose 20 lbs. This used to be “buy a scale”, but my girlfriend wants to get one sooner than this reward would allow. And honestly, I can think of WAY more fun rewards! I’ve decided to change this reward to buying two new cookbooks! I need to replenish my cookbook supply with ones that truly promote healthy cooking. Plus, my cookbook addiction is much more manageable than my sugar addiction, so feeding this addiction will be quite satisfying!
4. Reach my 10%. Another big WW milestone! At this point, I will reward myself with purchasing the domain for this blog! I’ll have reached over 60 entries at that point and since I plan to continue with this blog AND this program, it will be nice to have a little more control over the look of things
5. Lose 40 lbs. Weekend trip to Chicago! With my girlfriend, of course We’ll take the train up, stay in a hotel and enjoy being in the city for a couple days without any other plans! Walking around the city will be feel different because I’ll be a whole toddler lighter. Maybe we’ll even go to the beach!
6. Lose 50 lbs. 50 is a lot of weight to lose. Right now, it feels like once I reach 50, every extra pound lost will seem like so much more! Because of this, my reward for losing 50 lbs will be to go on a $150 shopping spree! I’ll need new pants and shirts at this point, so it will be fun!
7. Lose 60 lbs. Once I reach this milestone, I am getting a personal trainer! Only for a couple months to see what it’s like, but I’ve always wanted to try one out. I’ll also need an extra kick to tighten up that loose skin!
8. Lose 70 pounds. This used to be “buy a treadmill”, but now that I’ve really gotten into the habit of exercising, I realize that I would rather run/walk outside or play Kinect games inside. No walking inside! Instead, I will treat myself to the Spa Starter treatment at The Studio: Salon and Spa. It comes with a manicure, pedicure, hydrotherapy treatment and a massage! all of that for only $175. HELL YEAH!
9. Lose 80 lbs. See Cirque du Soleil! This has been on my bucket list for quite some time. 80 pounds for $80 tickets! Soooo gonna be worth it!
10. Lose 90 lbs. Take a cooking class! I know this is food related, but it’s not actual food. I’ve considered taking some cooking classes for quite a while since I’m a foodie, so having mastered some control habits at this point, cooking will be a whole different thing! Who knows, maybe I’ll learn a ton, become inspired and open up my cafe
11. Lose 100 POUNDS. GO ON A CRUISE! Oh. So. Worth. It. Where to has yet to be determined, but that’s something I’ll enjoy thinking about!