Introducing another one of my favorite green veggies…. Asparagus! It’s so succulent and juicy and a perfect compliment for almost any meat you can think of. The flavor goes well with cheesey and asian flavors (not at the same time). I need to try it with other flavors… BBQ asparagus? Grilled asparagus? Oh yes please. So tasty and so good for you! Here are eight benefits of eating asparagus that I found on this site:
1 – can detoxify our system
2 – has anti-aging functions
3 – is considered an aphrodisiac
4 – can protect against cancer
5 – reduces pain and inflammation
6 – can prevent osteoporosis and osteoarthritis
7 – reduces the risk of heart disease
8 – can help prevent birth defects
If you love your self and your body, you should be eating asparagus. And with the points value of this dish being only 2 per serving, you’ll enjoy eating healthy and feeling satisfied with your meal!
Parmesan Crusted Asparagus
PointsPlus Per Serving: 2
- 1 pound asparagus
- 1 tbsp olive oil, 4 PP
- 1 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1 tsp fresh ground pepper
- 1/2 tsp each of dried basil, parsley, oregano (optional)
- 1/2 cup reduced fat parmesan cheese, grated, 3 PP
1. Preheat oven to 410 degrees.
2. To get the asparagus ready, snap the bottoms off. It will break at precisely the right point so that you don’t end up with chewy, sinewy bites. Rinse and put into a glass or ceramic cooking dish.
3. Drizzle olive oil over asparagus and mix around with your hands. Then put on the sea salt and pepper (and herbs if you are using them) and mix together.
4. Sprinkle on parmesan cheese and mix it all around.
5. Put in oven. Mix it all around after 10 minutes and put it back in for about another 5-10 minutes, checking periodically until you reach your desired crunch level.
You can make this without the herbs or you can use other herbs and spices. Try with some adobo, red pepper flakes and a dash coriander. Or just salt, pepper and a squeeze of lemon juice. So many possiblities! But either way, this dish is going to be enjoyed by everyone!